Fire crews acted quickly on Saturday in Andover, New Hampshire as a fire burned through a building part that was part of Proctor Academy. Authorities are now investigating the 3rd alarm blaze which destroyed Proctor Academy’s Thoreau House during the early evening on Saturday.
The fire was initially reported around 3 PM as a 1st alarm, but the heat and intensity of the fire elevated it to a 2nd then 3rd alarm, bringing in mutual aid from Salisbury, Wilmot, Danbury, New London, Boscawen, and others.
Andover Emergency Services say that no one was home during the blaze but one family pet was killed in flames. The fire started in the rear of the building, which was a dormitory, and spread to the entire house, deeming it a total loss by early evening.
The remains of the building were torn down by Andrews Construction and Andover has expressed their thanks to mutual aid crews in their assistance responding to the scene. Andover Emergency Services has also thanked the townspeople who reported the fire and to Jake’s Market and Pizza Chef for keeping the firefighters hydrated and fed.
The fire is not being considered suspicious at this time.