Authorities say that around 2 PM on Saturday, fire crews responded to 52 Cat Hole Road in Claremont to the report of a fire in a garage attached to a home. Firefighters were faced with heavy flames and after additional personnel arrived, they used two hoses on both stories of the garage to douse the flames.
They also cut a ventilation hole in the roof and with the combined efforts, were able to knock the fire down before it spread to the main home, deemed under control around 3:15 PM.
An investigation yielded that an ATV battery charger inside the garage started the fire. The property was confirmed to have been insured and tanker trucks from Charlestown, Cornish, Newport, Plainfield, and Meriden all responded with water because there were no fire hydrants nearby.
The garage’s second floor, consisting of a family room and two other rooms, was damaged heavily and the home suffered heat, smoke, and water damage.