YCN Latest

Excessive Steam at DHMC Mistaken For Smoke

Firefighters from Lebanon and Hanover responded to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Thursday afternoon after light smoke was reported billowing inside a room in a patient-free area.

But after a brief investigation by hospital engineers, it was determined it was steam – not smoke – that had accumulated inside the hospital’s outpatient surgical medical office located on Lahaye Drive.

According to a press release from the Lebanon Fire Department, the steam was released from a pressure valve located behind a unit used to sterilize surgical tools.

No patients were affected in the incident which occurred shortly after 1 o’clock Thursday afternoon – and medical equipment was temporarily being sterilized elsewhere in the hospital while engineers continued to assess the situation.

Firefighters found no other potential hazards following the incident, and had cleared the scene by 2 p.m.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: