Monday night Dartmouth College officials announced that a dorm damaged early Saturday morning in a four-alarm fire will stay closed for the remainder of the fall.
School officials say they’ve successfully relocated the approximately 70 students displaced by the fire at Morton Hall, located along East Wheelock Street, and that work is still being done to determine the extent and cost of the damage which destroyed the building’s roof.
According to the Valley News, town records indicate the total replacement cost of the building at about $4.2 million. State fire officials announced the blaze, which began shortly after midnight Saturday morning and was deemed under control by 6:30 a.m., was sparked by an unattended hibachi-style grill.
The college has not public identified the student or students who owned the grill, or whether or not they will face repercussions as a result of the fire.