YCN Latest

Newport House Damaged by Fire; Pet Tortoise Rescued

Wednesday, a fire damaged the home of Richard and Robin Geschewinder at 133 Turkey Hill Road in Newport. A call to the Newport Fire Department came into the station just before 1pm and firefighters, EMTs, and police all arrived at the scene a little after the call came in to find flames coming from the rear of the house and smoke coming out of both floors of the building.

Richard and Robin were not home at the start of the fire but their pet tortoise Bubbles was and was rescued from the burning building.

The tortoise was given oxygen at the scene and later, his owners brought him to the vet for observation. The towns of Sunapee, Unity, Lempster, Newbury, New London, Claremont, and Grantham provided mutual aid by bringing water and personnel to the fire.

The cause of the blaze was determined to be electrical but an investigation continues between the Newport fire and police departments. Anyone who has any other information on the fire can contact Newport Fire Chief Conroy.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: