In Hartford, Vermont three people were sent to the hospital on Tuesday following an explosion. Authorities say that the explosion happened at around 4:30 PM at a business at 68 Old River Road. The Hartford Fire Department arrived promptly at 4:32 PM and an investigation determined that workers at the business were using torches to remove parts of a car when the flames ignited old gasoline in the tank of a 1970’s Chevrolet Camaro that was being restored.
The Hartford Fire Department was able to knock down the small fire caused by the explosion, which caused no damage to the building.
However, three men who were working on the car were all injured in the blast with 52-year old Mark Kidder suffering burns to his head, face, arms, and legs. Chris Macedo suffered similar injuries and the business owner, Chuck Gordon, sustained minor flash burns. Kidder and Macedo were flown to a burn unit in Boston and Gordon received treatment at Dartmouth-Hitchcock.
Fire departments from Lebanon, Hanover, Norwich, and Hartland all assisted at the scene.