An update in a story we brought you last Friday as the story has taken an uplifting turn. Late last week, Canaan resident Don Degrasse lost his home and all of his personal belongings that were inside his home when a fire started accidentally last Thursday.
Degrasse was out working delivering newspapers Thursday morning when he came home to find his home destroyed, which officials blame on an overloaded woodstove.
In an act of sympathy and support, Canaan resident Karen Lester started a GoFundMe fundraiser to help raise money for Degrasse. In only 3 days, the initial goal of $3000 was surpassed by more than 200 bucks.
Lester, the fundraiser’s organizer, has posted an update expressing her deep thanks, saying “this feels so good to be a part of – we have made a huge impact here. I can’t thank you all enough”.
If you would like to help Don Degrasse back on his feet even further, you can visit the GoFundMe here.